Beef, barley and vegetable soup
A hearty nourishing soup of beef, tender pearl barley and plenty of vegetables.
- 500g chuck steak (diced and trimmed of fat)
- 1 tablespoons (metric) olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (sliced)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 parsnip (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1L beef stock (salt reduced)
- 1L water
- 2 zucchini (diced)
- 400g can kiney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Parsley (to serve)
- Toss beef in oil, heat a wide saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat and brown beef in 2 batches. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, celery, carrot, parsnip, tomatoes and barley. Add beef stock and 1 Lwater and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 hours or until beef and barley are tender. Add zucchini and kidney beans for the last 15 minutes of cooking. Add frozen peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Serve in large bowls with fresh chopped parsley.
- Try serving soup with a dollop of pesto or a grating of parmesan.
- Leftover soup freezes really well, so pour into plastic containers with tight fitting lids in individual portions and freeze for up to 3 months. Makes a great lunch to take to work or an easy dinner that can be reheated in minutes.
Recipe reproduced with permission from Meat and Livestock Australia. For more recipes visit www.beefandlamb.com.au.