- 200g couscous
- 200ml reduced salt vegetable stock, hot
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, seeds removed, diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeds removed, diced
- 95g tinned tuna in springwater
- ¼ cup chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place the couscous in a large bowl. Pour over the hot vegetable stock and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and season with pepper. When couscous is completely cold, stir in the chickpeas, cucumber, onion, capsicum, tomato, tuna, black pepper, mint and parsley.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice and, add to the couscous and stir until well combined.
- Olive oil, avocado and canola oils are great sources of monounsaturated fat (good fats).
- Monounsaturated fats have been shown to lower blood cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of heart disease.
- Stir through shredded BBQ chicken instead of tuna as an alternative protein source.