- 210g dried red lentils
- 1 small brown onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ cups fusilli pasta
- ¼ cup grated cheddar or parmesan cheese
- Cook lentils in a saucepan of water according to packet instructions.
- Finely chop onion, carrot and celery.
- Grate zucchini.
- Drain and rinse lentils.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery and zucchini. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes until onion is tender.
- Add tomatoes, cooked lentils, tomato paste, basil and oregano.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, following packet instructions until tender. Drain.
- Serve pasta with sauce over the top and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- You can add any leftover vegetables to this recipe to help reduce food wastage.
- Use this sauce as a base for vegetarian lasagne or vegetarian shepherd’s pie.
- For a milk protein free option, omit cheese.
- For a gluten/wheat free option, replace pasta with gluten free pasta, rice noodles or rice (check alternatives for soy, if required).