- 1 brown onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 8-10 mushrooms
- 1 x 400g can brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to season
- ½ cup water
- 500g spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Wash carrots and celery under cold water and finely dice. Peel brown onion and finely dice. Set aside in a bowl.
- Peel garlic cloves and finely dice. Roughly chop rosemary leaves. Set aside. Peel the mushrooms and roughly chop. Set aside.
- Drain the can of brown lentils into a sieve and rinse under cold water. Set aside in a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, diced carrot and celery to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring for a further 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add brown lentils. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add canned tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Add water. Mix with a spoon until all ingredients are combined. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until Bolognese sauce begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain pasta using a colander or sieve.
- Stir cooked spaghetti through lentil Bolognese sauce and serve with parmesan cheese.
- If a child doesn’t like something the first time they try it, it doesn’t mean they never will. Try the lentils in another meal like lentil burgers or golden rice.
This recipe was developed for the Cook Well, Eat Well project.
Brought to you by VicHealth and Nutrition Australia Vic Division, Cook Well Eat Well helps Victorians create healthy meals at home during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Over 25 community organisations across Victoria were engaged to help shape Cook Well, Eat Well, and its content.