Why have breakfast?
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day!
- Breakfast breaks your overnight fast.
- Breakfast refuels your glycogen (energy) stores.
- Breakfast kick starts the metabolism.
- Breakfast provides us with the energy to keep us going throughout the day.
Benefits of regular breakfast
- Improves your energy levels.
- Improves metabolism.
- Provides many beneficial nutrients, and boosts your fibre and calcium intake (compared to no breakfast).
- Reduces you chance of over-consuming high kilojoule foods later in the day.
- Stabilises your blood sugar levels.
- Improves memory and concentration.
Creating a breakfast routine
- Set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier to fit in breakfast at home.
- Take public transport? Take a portable breakfast option to eat on the way to work.
- Make some ’ easy to grab’ breakfasts on the weekend, such as savoury muffins or zucchini slice.
- If it’s allowed, keep some breakfast options at work to enjoy once you arrive.
Healthy breakfast options
- Wholegrain toast with a thin scrape of peanut butter, or avocado and spinach or reduced fat ricotta.
- Porridge with fresh fruit.
- Fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Wholegrain cereals with reduced fat milk.
- Wholemeal fruit toast with thin scrap of cream cheese.
- Fruit or vegetable smoothies.
- Boiled eggs with wholegrain toast.
- Untoasted muesli.